Monday, February 9, 2015

Valentine’s Day follows Friday the 13th



Have you looked a calendar for this week? If you have, you would know that what is called the most romantic day in the year follows what some consider the scariest! 

A reminder to all to follow the Opportunities Blog. I post the job, inter/coop or scholarship announcement I often receive on this blog. You must "follow" the blog to receive notice when an opportunity has been posted. 

This blog is a great way for me to share information with you, provide you with useful tools, tips and ideas while being entertaining. Several of you use it for just those reasons. However, I'm finding that not everyone reads or uses the blog as I would hope. In an attempt to improve the Blog and better serve the MSE Undergrads I am asking that you tell me what you want to see on the weekly Blog. Please, everyone, complete the short questionnaire as soon as you can. 

Senior News
Are you running your DARs?

If you name is listed below you have not picked up your senior proofs and I will be selecting the photo that will be used in the composite…. Ok, fine. You have till Friday to select the photo, after that I get to pick!   Corcoran, Eckard, Erb, Fleetwood, Hodgkinson, Huling, Kirk, Luo, Seay, and Wiltman.

Important Dates
2/12, Thur - How to make a career fair work for you; contact cbhaynes@vt.edu
2/24, Tues – Spring Connection Job Fair
2/26, Thur – CAMEO, Engineering CareerFest
3/2, Monday – Last Day to Drop – check with me first
3/2, Monday – Last Day to change grade option to P/F – check with me first
3/18, Wed - CEIP Orientation; how to find co‑ops, internships & other experience

Helpful Tools
Lately I’ve been talking to several of you about class preparation. The common thread in most of these conversations has been about doing the readings before class. Many of you don’t see the importance. Well, I’m here (and all your instructors) are here to tell you it matters, you should do it, it does make a difference, and just do it.

That said I understand several of you are not going to heed our advice. So here are 5 Ways to Get Away With Not Doing the Readings. 

5. Vaguely ramble on the subject
4. Extensively describe a completely difference reading
3. Claim illiteracy
2. Play dead
1. Drop out of school


Random 
With Friday the 13th approaching, I wanted to let you know that Cardiophobia- Fear of the heart. (Oddly enough, I couldn’t find a fear of candy or chocolate.)

Ut Prosim  
Football Players Defend Bullied Teen Chy Johnson, who suffers from a brain disorder, used to find school intolerable, reports. But now that a crew of football players have taken Chy under their wing, the 16-year-old no longer has to worry about bullies mercilessly taunting her anymore.


Sandbox

My Schedule 
Scheduled meeting times are available 10-11:45 & 1:30-415. To schedule a meeting please log into your Scholar account.