Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Art at the Picnic



So, unless you are in class you will be at the picnic, wright? “Yes, Michelle,” is the only acceptable answer! I know I keep going on and on, but you really must RSVP and come. Yes, we are going to have a great time meeting and getting to know each other. In addition to that we will have competitive games. I was saving this for the picnic, but I guess I have to tell you now… the winning team gets to design the art work for my office. For those of you who have visited my office you know that my office is filled with my art. And I need one more piece to make it complete.

Now, something I don’t like to dwell upon. Some of you may have heard or read the news this morning about the local news journalists who were killed. I’m not going to review the actions or spend time contemplating why. What I want to convey now and always is that each and every one of you is important.

SUPER IMPORTANT
If you took MSE 2034 you must complete MSE 2014 this semester to complete the MSE 2044 requirement for graduation. MSE 2014 will NOT be offered again after this semester.

From the Faculty
Our annual laboratory safety seminar from the university's Environmental Health & Safety office will occur next week on two dates as follows:
  • Monday, August 31, 5:30 PM in 118C Surge Building
  • Tuesday, September 1, 5:30 PM in 3100 Torgersen Hall
All graduate, sophomore & juniors must attend one of these two sessions to maintain laboratory access.  Failure to attend one of these two session will lead to a hold on your account until you have completed the online safety course with a formal quiz.

Please put either date on your schedule and plan to attend!

Senior News
Have you run your DARs yet?
You will get your picture taken on October 8 or 9 for the senior composite.

Important Dates
8/29, Last day to Add a course
9/2, MSE Welcome Back Picnic
9/7, VT closed
10/2, Last day to Drop a course

Helpful Tools
Get your semester off to the best start possible by signing up for a workshop offered by the Student Success Center. http://www.studentsuccess.vt.edu/Academic_Success/seminarseries.html

Workshops include: Time Management Bootcamp, Effective Study Strategies, Reading & Note-taking for Comprehension and Retention, Successful Test-taking, and Don’t Be a Pokie Hokie

Voice of experience: a former student reported that after taking the Test-taking workshop her test grade went up an entire letter grade.

Random 
Armadillos are the only animal besides humans that can get leprosy.

Words To Live By
The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. – Audrey Hepburn

Sandbox

My Schedule 
Today I decided we will try something new this year …. Walk-in on Monday, Tuesday – Friday appointments are suggested but you can walk-in if I’m not with someone else.

As always, schedule your appointment on Scholar.