Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Didn't Plan That!



Many of us live by our planners; we have all the details of our day mapped out – don’t get in our way we have an agenda to keep! But how do you handle sudden unexpected changes? Have you set up room in your detailed schedule for those bumps? Can you go with the flow? It took me a long time to learn to go with the flow, but I’m a master at it now. Like this morning for example. I typically leave my house at 5:45 (yes, 5:45 a.m.) for the gym. To do so I have to have everything prepped the night before. But I got wrapped up in my homework & forgot to pack my lunch last night. So this morning I could have skipped the gym but instead I lived life outside my agenda …. I explored uncharted territory and took my dog for a 30 minute walk at 5:45 a.m.  When Bodie and I got back to the house we could smell it in the air - fall is coming.

Snow is actually Bodie's favorite season.


Not only is fall coming our way, but so is team-work season!  With that in mind I have a few tips for working in teams. Most teams funnel through four stages: forming, storming, norming and finally performing. If your team finds yourselves in the storming stage please take time to restart by:

  • Clearly defining purpose and setting measurable goals
  • Come to a shared vision
  • Establish rules of conduct and how discussions will be made
  • Define roles
  • Provide structure and reward systems
  • Failure to take the time to restart can and will set your team back; often to a point of no return. Don’t be that team.
More about team work later.


MEPS News

Meeting tonight @ 6pm in 114 Holden

Topics for tonight: Scholarships, Design Competitions, Internships, Elevator Speeches for Engineering Expo, Leadership Opportunities, AND MUCH MORE

Senior News

Run your DARS

Important Dates

10/2, Last day to Drop a course

Helpful Tools

Student Success Center, Fall 2015 Program Schedule


  • Time Management Bootcamp
  • Effective Study Strategies
  • Reading and Note-taking for Comprehension and Retention
  • Successful Test-taking
  • How to Master Online and Technology-Based Classes
  • Don’t Be A Pokie Hokie: Overcoming Procrastination

Random 

A Georgia Tech student was accidentally sent 2 enrollment forms; he filled out both, creating a fictional man named George P. Burdell. The student did work for George and George graduated with a mechanical engineering degree. Today, Burdell is one of Georgia Tech's most celebrated alums. He even has a page on Facebook, where he keeps in touch with more than 4,000 "friends."

Ut Prosim  / Words To Live By / Ted Talk
What you do today can improve all your tomorrows. – Ralph Marston


Sandbox

My Schedule 

Scheduled meeting times are available 10-11:45 & 1:30-415. To schedule a meeting please log into your Scholar account.