Monday, February 27, 2017

Shark Tank

Hope yesterday was a successful day for everyone. I know it was a jam-packed & exciting day. I have to tell you about something strange and exciting that happened to me as I left campus yesterday.

I left at 2:45 for a doctor's appointment. As I typically do, I headed for the stairs across from the MSE labs when I saw two unfamiliar girls looking in the furnace lab. Both were improperly dressed for the lab – shorts, flip-flops and carrying iced coffees. As I approached, one went into the lab. I walked over and asked, “Can I help you?” Startled the girls looked at me and one pointed at the furnace and asked, “What is that?” to which I responded, “a furnace.” One of the girls clarified and said, “No, the big gray thing outside?” A little surprised by her question I hesitated when I said, “the wind tunnel.” To which the other girl said, “We were told it is a shark tank.”

Can’t make this stuff up.

What can we take away from this strange event … 1) some people will believe anything & 2) close the lab when you are done.

things that make you go hmmm
The Fish! Philosophy has 4 simple concepts. 
  1. You must have fun. 
    • enjoy your work
    • play is energizing!
  2. Make Someone's day. 
    • create energy and good will towards others
    • be involved in the process
  3. Be present.
    • be engaged with each task
    • focus on the people around you
  4. Choose your attitude.
    • create a positive change
So I have really tried to incorporate the Fish! Philosophy into the way I live. It is really easy to find ways to enjoy your work and create play. I admit that sometimes it is hard to choose your attitude.

Recently I had a conversation with a colleague and it was suggested that we work in a culture of complaining. I’ve been reflecting on that conversation a bit lately with regards to creating a positive change. I did some more research and I found an article that challenges the reader to go a month without complaining. Imagine how different your would be be if you stopped complaining altogether? Is it even possible?

random FACT: 
McDonald’s introduced filet-O-Fish in 1962 because their Catholic customers did not have meat on Fridays.
MEPS NEWS
Movie night coming soon. 
Important Dates
Feb 27: Last day to drop a class. SEE ME FIRST.

Feb 27: Last day to change course to P/F, 5pm. SEE ME FIRST.

March 6 - 10: Spring Break. 
Senior News
Check your DARS & contact me if there is a red X.

Ask your parents to respond to the reception invitation.

Commencement info can be found here.
Sandbox
Kid has shocking bicycle accident


Our mailing address is:
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Advising Office
460 Old Turner Street,
142 Randolph Hall, MC 0286
Blacksburg, VA 24061